Tuesday 16 September 2014

PERIGUEUX

The Exterior of Perigueux Cathedral
From Bordeaux I travelled to Perigueux - famous for foie gras. 
 
I did try to stay in Perigueux last year for a few days but there was no room at the inn.  All the hotels were full.  Well that is not strictly true.  After what seemed liked hours of driving around trying to find a place to rest our weary bones for the night we found the 'Grand Hotel de la Gare.'  The only thing that was true that it was near the railway station!!!
 
 
It has had a lick of paint since last year!!!
 
Having found my way to the hotel, I checked in and unpacked.  From there I made my way to the Cathedral to check on Mass times for the Feast of the Assumption - A national holiday in France.
 
The Cathedral is dedicated to St Front (and no there is no St Back) and is a major historical monument in Perigueux. It is also an important stage on the way of St James and as such was classified as a Unesco World Heritage Site of the routes of Santiago de Compostela. 
 
The Main Altar in the Cathedral
Perigueux hosts an excellent market on Saturday mornings (a bit like Bury).  I was therefore amused to find this sign in the Cathedral
 
Every Saturday at the Cathedral of St Front Market Day Mass at 9:30am. 
A priest is available for Confession until 11:15am

No comments: