Monday 24 June 2013

SIGN LANGUAGE AT MASS

A few weeks ago a couple came to church requesting baptism for their child.  It was only at the end of the Mass that I realised that they were both deaf and used sign language to communicate.  The child to be baptised and her older sibling are both hearing.

God moves in mysterious ways.  When I was a teenager I was bored one evening and looked thriugh the pages of the local paper and came across an advert for classes in sign language.  It looked as if it might be a useful skill to have so I went along to the classes.

At one of the classes we had to talk about our interests and our work.  I made the ''mistake'' of saying that I was thinking about becoming a priest.  I say mistake because unbeknown to me our teacher was a Catholic herself and involved in the Catholic Deaf Association.  Thus began my interest in liturgical sign language.

Unfortunately I do not have many opportinities to use the sign language I learnt all those years ago and have become a bit rusty.  With a deaf couple now coming to Mass regularly it has re ignited my interest in communication with deaf people.

Over the last few weeks I have been signing some of the Mass at St Marie's.  I hope that this has been of some help to those who use this language as a form of communication. 

If any one who has a skill in this area and would be interested helping at Mass then please do get in touch.  Perhaps we could form a group for anyone who might be interested in learning sign language. 

No comments: